Thursday, February 5, 2009

Humans for food?

I have never been able to stomach the whole eating humans thing and continue to be completely disgusted by it after we read the article in class. I must admit, though, if there ever was a situation where it was mildly okay to have human for breakfast lunch and dinner, those who survived that flight were in it. It's very hard to think of placing yourself in their shoes because, let's face it, nothing comes close to being stranded on a moutain without food for months. I can't say i would or would not do as the survivers did and give into the human meat, because I don't know how i would deal with the situation until, God forbid, I'm in it. I feel if I knew the people who ate the humans, I would have a lot of questions to ask them like: what went through your head as you cut into the person and how do you honestly feel about the situation now. I would never, however, bring back the horrible memories the people went through. I know we were taught from day 1 that we don't eat other people, but what if we were comfronted with the situation the people on F-227 were? Would it be okay to eat another person to keep yourself and your family alive? Better yet, would you let strangers eat your family members?

4 comments:

  1. Kel, I agree.. I wouldnt know what to do in this situation. I'd be so curious to see how the people that did have to go through it, dealt with it. Its a hard subject to grasp because we woudlnt even think of it in our everyday lives. But, I can tell you one thing.. if it was us i dont think i'd eat you ;) SEE YOU AT STATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one could really know what to do in this situation, but I'm sure the ideas would be running through our heads. Your right its something were taught from day 1 so its hard to say what anyone would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, if I had the opportunity to meet the survivors I would have so many questions to ask them. I do think it's okay to eat another person to keep yourself alive. It was their last survival tactic and without eating them, they would have no no chance at survival. And I it's repulsive to think about someone eating one of my family members but I think if my someone from my family was dead and the only way someone could survive would be to eat their body, I would be ok with it. If I were on the mountain and I needed to eat the human meat to survive, I'd want someone to give up their families body for me,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey,

    Okay maybe that article was a little extreme, but I don't want you to get caught up on the cannibalism part. Do you see how in order to bring themselves to do that, they constructed a new reality with new social rules? That was the point.

    ReplyDelete