Thursday, April 23, 2009

Class

Watching the movie on social class in America this week and taking the ACT got me thinking of how class based the ACT can be. From upper middle class people at Stevenson to lower class in the city, the ACT can be totally unfair. Many people, including myself, at Stevenson get tutored. I knew even before I took my first ACT that I would be tutored. I had discussed it with my parents and we decided whatever score I got without tutoring, I could concievably get better with the tutoring. So a couple months and 90$ per hour later, I retook the ACT. Yes, I recieved a much better score, but what about those who can't afford the tutoring, books, and online practices? They get stuck with whatever score they get. Although colleges do accept those with lower ACTs from inner city schools more often than they would accept someone at Stevenson with the same score, does it even the balance out? People in higher classes pay to get better scores so they can get into the better colleges, but people in lower classes are accepted at lower standards. My parents frequently have these conversations and I have gotten into them with my teachers, but i'm still not certain what my take is on it.

1 comment:

  1. great example! I think what you should take from all this is that social class does exist in America and it affects many aspects of our lives. Your example of education is just one aspect. In realizing this, we should feel lucky to have the experiences we have.

    ReplyDelete